There is nothing better than a delicious warm stew on a cold winter day. It’s rich, hearty and highly nutrient-dense, making it one of the top healing dishes on the autoimmune protocol. With flavourful beef, lots of vegetables and nutritious bone broth, this rich comforting dish has the ability to warm your body and your soul!
Besides super healthy, stews are also easy to do. You just have to throw everything in a big pot and wait for it to simmer, while filling the house with its delicious aroma. This one-pot dish is ideal to make on the weekend, leaving leftovers for later in the week. And the use of least tender cuts of meat, suitable for slow-cooking makes it cheaper too.
Hokkaido-beef stew has a delicious combination of the rich flavour from the beef with the sweetness from the Hokkaido pumpkin and parsnips. Ginger adds some depth to the dish, enhanced by the subtle, minty flavour of thyme. Altogether, this is definitely one of our favourites for the winter season here at home.
Hokkaido-beef stew with thyme recipe
serves: 6-8 persons | prep time: 20 min. | cook time: 3,5 – 4 hours
1,2 Kg beef stew meat, cut into cubes
2 tbsp lard or coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cm ginger, chopped
3 - 4 cups bone broth
1 small Hokkaido pumpkin, cubed
6 parsnips, cubed
200g mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1. Season the meat with salt;
2. Heat the lard in a big pot on high heat. When the pot is hot, brown the meat in batches. Once browned, remove the meat from the pot and lower the heat to medium;
3. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes more;
4. Return the meat to the pot and add the bone broth. Once is boiling, turn down the heat to keep a simmer. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 2,5 to 3 hours. If it begins to dry, add a little extra broth after need;
5. Add the Hokkaido pumpkin, the parsnips and 1 more cup of broth and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes, adding salt to taste;
6. Add mushrooms and thyme and cook for 15 minutes more, or until vegetables are soft. Serve the warm stew in bowls.